Bernice Huang, Ph.D
I’m a scientist involved in the human microbiome project, which studies how changes in the normal bacteria present on our bodies affect human disease. I’m particularly interested in understanding how the microbiome relates to women’s health.
- My academic vita
- Postdoctoral Fellow - Microbiology and Immunology, VCU
- Fellow - Center for the Study of Biological Complexity, VCU
- VCU Vaginal Microbiome Consortium
- Oki AT, Huang B, Beyer AR, May LJ, Truchan HK, Walker NJ, Galloway NL, Borjesson DL and Carlyon CA. (2016). Anaplasma phagocytophilum APH0032 Is Exposed on the Cytosolic Face of the Pathogen-Occupied Vacuole and Co-opts Host Cell SUMOylation. Front. Cell. Infect. Microbiol. Sept 22.
- Isaza JP, Galvan AL, Polanoco V, Huang B, Matveyev AV, Serrano MG, Manque P, Buck GA and Alzate JF (2015). Revisiting the reference genomes of human pathogenic Cryptosporidium species: reannotation of C. parvum Iowa and a new C. hominis reference. Science Reports. May 16.
- Brooks JP, Edwards DJ, Harwich MD Jr, Rivera MC, Fettweis JM, Serrano MG, Reris RA, Sheth NU, Huang B, Girerd P, Vaginal Microbiome Consortium, Strauss FJ III, Jefferson KK and Buck GA (2015). The truth about metagenomics: quantifying and counteracting bias in 16S rRNA studies.. BMC Microbiol.Mar 21;15(1)
- Fettweis JM, Serrano MG, HuangB, Brooks JP, Glascock AL, Vaginal Microbiome Consortium, Strauss JF III, Jefferson KK, Buck GA. (2014). An emerging trichomoniasis-associated mycoplasma implicated in vaginal infection and disease. Clin Lab Med.
- Huang B, Fettweis JM, Brooks JP, Jefferson KK, Buck GA. (2014). The Changing Landscape of the Vaginal Microbiome. Clin Lab Med.
- The Integrative HMP (iHMP) Research Network Consortium. (2014). The Integrative Human Microbiome Project: Dynamic Analysis of Microbiome-Host Omics Profiles during Period of Human Health and Disease. Cell Host Microbe Sep 10;16(3):276-289.
- Fettweis JM, Brooks JP, Serrano MG, Sheth NU, Girerd PH, Edwards DJ, Strauss JF, Reimers MA, Rivera MC, Puma FA, Huang B, Shyu C, Koparde VN, Lee V, Jefferson KK and Buck GA. (2014). Differences in vaginal microbiome in African American women versus women of European ancestry. Microbiology Jul 29.
- Falanga YT, Chaimowitz NS, Charles N, Finkelman FD, Pullen NA, Barbour S, Dholaria K, Faber T, Kolawole M, Huang B, Odom S, Rivera J, Carlyon JA, Conrad DH, Spiegel S, Oskeritzian CA, Ryan JJ. (2012). Lyn but Not Fyn Kinase Controls IgG-Mediated Systemic Anaphylaxis. J Immunol. 188(9), 4360-8.
- Huang B, Ojogun N, Ragland SA, Carlyon JA. (2012). Monoubiquitinated proteins decorate the Anaplasma phagocytophilum-occupied vacuolar membrane. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol.64(1), 32-41.
- Ojogun N, Barnstein B, Huang B, Oskeritzian CA, Homeister JW, Miller D, Ryan JJ, Carlyon JA. (2011). Anaplasma phagocytophilum infects mast cells via alpha1,3-fucosylated but not sialylated glycans and inhibits IgE-mediated cytokine production and histamine release. Infect Immuno79(7), 2717-26.
- Huang B, Troese MJ, Howe D, Ye S, Sims JT, Heinzen RA, Borjesson DL, Carlyon JA. (2010). Anaplasma phagocytophilum APH_0032 is expressed late during infection and localizes to the pathogen-occupied vacuolar membrane. Microb Pathog. 49(5), 273-84.
- Huang B, Hubber A, McDonough JA, Roy CR, Scidmore MA, Carlyon JA. (2010). The Anaplasma phagocytophilum-occupied vacuole selectively recruits Rab-GTPases that are predominantly associated with recycling endosomes. Cell Microbiol. 12(9), 1292-307
- Huang B, Troese MJ, Ye S, Sims JT, Galloway NL, Borjesson DL, Carlyon JA. (2010). Anaplasma phagocytophilum APH_1387 is expressed throughout bacterial intracellular development and localizes to the pathogen-occupied vacuolar membrane. Infect Immun. 78(5), 1864-73.
- McDowell JV, Huang B, Fenno JC, Marconi RT (2009). Analysis of a unique interaction between the complement regulatory protein factor H and the periodontal pathogen Treponema denticola. Infect Immun. 77(4), 1417-25.
- Reneer DV, Troese MJ, Huang B, Kearns SA, Carlyon JA. (2008). Anaplasma phagocytophilum PSGL-1-independent infection does not require Syk and leads to less efficient AnkA delivery. Cell Microbiol. 10(9), 1827-38.